On Thursday night, a baby choked on an ice cube during dinner at her home. Thankfully, her mother knew that the owner of the neighboring restaurant, Moshe Amano, was a volunteer for United Hatzalah. Without wasting a moment, she rushed to the nearby restaurant where Moshe was working, desperately seeking help.
Recognizing the urgency of the situation, Moshe swiftly took the baby from her distressed mother and assessed the severity of the blockage. The infant was not breathing, and her eyes were rolling backward, a clear indication of the dire circumstances.
Without hesitation, Moshe gently placed the baby girl on her stomach, supporting her with his hand. He delivered precise back blows between her tiny shoulders, aiming to dislodge the obstructing ice cube and restore her breathing.
With each well-placed blow, Moshe remained focused and determined. Finally, after several tense moments, the ice cube was dislodged, and the baby gasped for air. A wave of relief washed over the worried mother as her daughter's skin color returned to normal, signifying her recovery. The volunteer ensured that the infant was out of danger and handed her back to her mother.
Reflecting on the intense situation, Moshe humbly shared after the incident, "In moments like these, every second counts. My sole purpose was to do everything in my power to save that precious life. I am grateful that I could be there for the baby and her mother when they needed help the most."